Want to compare several packages? Visit DentalInsurance.com to see your available options and compare providers side by side.
Individual dental insurance plans help you stay on top of your dental health without spending a fortune. With the right plan, you could save several hundred, if not thousands, on treatments.
If you’re looking for a package that meets your needs and budget, you’ve come to the right place. Benzinga is here to simplify your search so that you can get the coverage you need, sooner rather than later.
Read on to learn more about individual dental insurance, what it covers, and how much you can expect to pay. You’ll also find tips to help you evaluate providers, as well as our top picks for individual dental insurance providers.
Best individual health insurance:
What is individual dental insurance?
Individual dental insurance covers the costs of treatment for the primary policyholder.
Many employers offer individual dental insurance plans. But if you don’t receive benefits at work or if you are self-employed, you can subscribe to a private plan.
You can select a plan through your employer during the open enrollment period, unless you are eligible for a special enrollment period. The options are limited to plans offered by the provider with which your employer has contracted. And you won’t have to pay the supplier directly; your employer pays a substantial part of the monthly premiums and the rest is automatically deducted from your salary.
Private or individual dental plans are available for purchase at any time. You will also have the luxury of choosing a provider with plans that best suit your needs. Premiums are paid monthly.
Types of dental coverage
Individual insurance plans cover preventive care, basic procedures and major acts. Most providers follow a tiered model to determine the level of coverage:
- Preventive care: Includes exams, cleanings, diagnostic services, oral exams and x-rays. These services are 100% covered.
- Basic procedures: Includes extractions, fillings, periodontal work and some services deemed medically necessary. These services are 80% covered.
- Major procedures: Includes bridges, crowns, dentures, emergency surgeries, implants and root canals. These services are 50% covered.
Keep in mind that coverage levels vary by provider. Read the plan descriptions for clarification before signing up.
Average cost of individual dental insurance
The average cost of individual dental insurance premiums is between $ 15 and $ 50 per month. But bonuses aren’t all you need to worry about.
Other reimbursable costs to be taken into account:
- Co-payments: Package you pay for the treatment
- Co-insurance: Percentage of processing fees that you are responsible for paying out of pocket
- Deductible: Lump sum fee that you will pay out of pocket before your insurance plan takes effect to pay for treatment outside of preventive care
What to look for in a dental insurance provider
You want a dental insurance provider who meets the following criteria:
The provider should offer affordable dental insurance plans that don’t make you cringe at the premiums.
Affordable reimbursable fees
Low premiums are just as important as affordable reimbursable expenses. These numbers add up and you want the flexibility to receive care when you need it without worrying about going over budget.
Flexible plan options
Does the provider offer a range of packages in your area? Are they rigid or flexible? The best dental insurance providers have plans for all lifestyles and budgets.
Large network of suppliers
You are spending your hard earned money on coverage, so you have the right to choose a dentist who works for you. This is why it is important to consider dental insurance companies with large networks of providers.
Dental plans with many exclusions may seem more affordable. But the problem is, you’ll end up paying a lump sum to get the treatment you need.
Minimum waiting periods
Avoid dental plans with wait periods if you have urgent needs that should be treated quickly. Otherwise, you may have to wait up to 1 year for coverage to take effect.
Best providers of individual dental insurance
It can be difficult to narrow down your list of options. We have therefore done the work for you to help you find the most suitable choice.
1. Best overall: Delta Dental
If you want a provider with affordable dental plans and a large network, consider Delta Dental.
Its plan offerings include:
- DeltaCare® USA: An HMO plan with an affordable quota on preventive, basic and major services. There are no deductibles or annual maximums, and you will enjoy 0 waiting periods for certain services.
- Delta Dental PPO: A PPO or fee-for-service plan with coverage for preventative care, basic and major procedures. It includes a deductible and you will pay a coinsurance for non-preventive care. There is also an annual maximum and you will be responsible for any additional charges incurred once this is reached.
You can choose from over 150,000 dentists in 330,000 locations nationwide.
Medicare benefit plans
- Medicare Parts A + B and Medigap plans available
- 6% discount if you register online
- Shopping plans by postal code
- Discount not available CA, CT and OH
2. The best for affordable premiums: Humana
You deserve a dental plan that doesn’t break the bank. But if you’re worried that you won’t be able to pay the premiums, think again.
Humana offers DHMO, PPO, Value and Discount plans that are easy on the wallet. Some offer monthly premiums as low as $ 11.99 and include free x-rays and cleanings, zero or low deductibles, and no waiting periods for preventative services.
Over 270,000 Humana network suppliers are available nationwide to serve you. Get a quote from Humana today to see how much you can save on dental coverage.
3. Ideal for no waiting period: Spirit Dental
Don’t spend an extra day waiting for the dental care you desperately need. Spirit Dental offers plans with no waiting period and coverage begins within 3 days of enrollment.
You have the choice between 2 affordable packages:
- Network plan: Includes preventive coverage, 3 free cleanings per year, coverage for implants and major services, and orthodontic coverage for children. There is also a one-time deductible of $ 100 and an annual maximum of $ 5,000.
- Choice Package: Includes everything the network plan offers, but you can see a dentist outside the network. Monthly premiums and reimbursable expenses are higher.
Does this sound like a good fit? Request a personalized quote from Spirit Dental. It’s easy and only takes a minute of your time.
Easy access to benefits
- Home delivery for prescriptions
- Mobile health management applications
- Easy replacement of the identity card
- May have high deductibles
4. Best for the supplier network: Cigna
Cigna is a leading provider of individual dental insurance policies with over 17 million subscribers. It is also a Fortune 500 company with a proven track record of success.
As an insured, you will have access to a vast network of 90,000 dentists across the country. If you need help selecting a vendor or have any other plan-related questions, you can reach out to a member of their customer support team anytime, day or night.
- Wide variety of dental savings plans
- High customer service availability
- Website can be difficult to navigate
- Limited dental insurance options
5. Ideal for discounts: DentalPlans.com
DentalPlans.com is another great way to save a bundle on dental care. You can subscribe to a dental savings plan and take advantage of discounts of up to 60% on services.
There are no waiting periods and you will not be turned down for pre-existing conditions.
Here is how it works:
- Visit the website and take a look at his savings plans. You’ll find options from Aetna, Cigna, Delta Dental, Humana, and a host of other top dental providers.
- Compare the plans and buy the best option for you.
- Browse the supplier network of over 100,000 dentists and make a selection.
- Call the provider to make an appointment.
- Get treatment.
No need to worry about filing a claim to get your money back. Discounts are applied at the time of service and you will pay the bill before leaving the dental office.
Get individual dental insurance today
You don’t have to spend a fortune to get the dental care you need. Consider an individual plan from one of our recommended vendors.
Start by grabbing quotes to see what they have to offer. It’s quick, easy, and you can compare your options and find the best plan in minutes.
DentalInsurance.com is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kelsey National Corporation (KNC). One of the leading providers of dental insurance, DentalInsurance.com was the first to allow individuals to compare prices and apply for discounted dental insurance and dental plans online.
DentalInsurance.com offers families, individuals and business owners the easiest way to compare and purchase affordable, quality dental insurance and discounted dental plans.